High Iron

A blog about volunteering on a railroad in Berkeley

Friday, August 18, 2006

Digging a ditch

Yesterday, Grant and I put in a 3" PVC drainage pipe. We ran it underneath the track in the Front Loop, where heavy rain water tends to pool up, and then parallel to the track for about thirty-five feet where the water can drain into a large field. This required lots and lots and lots of picking with a pickaxe, then digging and hoeing. We took care of a 4" diameter root with an axe, and then buried the whole shebang beneath eight wheelbarrow-loads of reclaimed ballast rock.

I'm feeling it in my shoulders today. I got to run the #2 again, though.

Tomorrow and Sunday are the work weekend for this month, so I'll be up there for about 9 hours. I'll take the camera.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home